Friday 11 May 2012

Loathe Film

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine, hereinafter referred to as The Prune



(if it makes you feel any better, another (possibly multiple) girl(s) danced with him just to make up for me turning him down there, and I did intend to dance with him next time a dancing song came on, how was I to know that at the entire Prom there would only be one slow song, and I finally appeased The Guilt by dancing with him at his 18th birthday, okay, so I can move on now)

…bought me a six-month subscription to LoveFilm for The Birthday.

One of those really great, thoughtful presents you get sometimes.  I’m not good at presents.  I tend to open them up and just stare at them and forget to either profusely thank the thoughtful giver, or forget to pretend to profusely thank the bizarre person who’s just handed me…



I kept LoveFilm up after the six months ran out and have rented about fifty DVDs so far. 

But after last night’s rental, The Housemate has been going about glaring at me and cursing my name, which is what he did the rental before that too. 



Which gets me to wondering how many good films we’ve actually managed to see so far.

The Rating System is pretty simple, as can be seen from the below scale.  The further to the left of the scale the film makes me feel, the more likely I am to watch it again, the further to the right of the scale, the more likely I am to pass out.



There’s also this:



which means I turned it off before the end, but that’s generally reserved for violent films where people scream a lot and not films I pay to watch.

So here is a list of the films (the TV shows I've rented can wait for another post) I have rented in the last couple of years.  I’ve tried to put them in a vague, broad order of how much I enjoyed them, top being the most fun and bottom being the most soul-destroying (and by judging how much you enjoy my humour or agree with my opinions in The Blog, you can work out how useful this list will be to you when picking a film to watch).

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs



Megamind
The Paleface
Casablanca



Recount
Road To Singapore
Definitely, Maybe
Monsters Vs. Aliens
That Thing You Do!
Bolt
Nim’s Island
WarGames


42nd Street
The War Of The Worlds
Coneheads
                                  Honey, I Shrunk The Kids
                                      The Wild
                                        The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus
Up
The Brothers Bloom
Wild About Harry
Igor
Starter For 10
Tron
A Christmas Carol
Blast From The Past
Cool Hand Luke
                                          The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
                                          Breakfast At Tiffany’s



Dorian Gray






Last night’s rental was Breakfast At Tiffany’s.  I wanted to watch it because a) it has a cat in it, b) it’s really famous, c) George Peppard.

I have learnt that a) I shouldn’t  watch films just because there are cats in them – if I like cats so much, I can go outside, there’re loads out there, b) every time I watch a really famous film I nearly slip into a coma, LEARN THE LESSON ALREADY, c) if George Peppard isn’t standing next to Dirk Benedict then I don’t care what he’s saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your enthusiastic and loving comment.