Sunday 24 May 2020

Why I Never Became An Actor #9

Reason Number 9: Couldn’t read scripts.

During a drama class, I sighed and leant back in the chair, chucking the script on the floor. 

Me: I don’t understand scripts.

Co-Star: You what?

I covered The Face with The Hands. 

Me: I don’t get why Milly would do this.  I don’t understand her character motivation and there’s nothing in here to explain it.  How am I supposed to be her if I don’t know everything about her?  I need to know her past, everything that has happened to influence her decisions and her inner thoughts.  But I’ve got nothing.  I’ve just got what she’s saying today.

I opened The Fingers.

She stared at me. 

Co-Star: Have you tried acting?




YES, I am ripping this off from that famous Marathon Man anecdote.



Next anecdote. This was going to be a separate point, but I don't think it is different enough so I will bung it in here:


During the exams, I threw The Self on the floor behind the screen and glared at the sandpaper carpet.  Stupid director.  What did she know?

My friend also crouched behind the screen, waiting for his cue.

Him: You don’t like being told what to do, do you?

Me: What’s the point of actors, really? When we improvise, we’re the writers, directors and actors all in one.  I get that.  Forming an entire world, understanding it all, but I don’t get reading someone else’s words.

He stared at me, his face twisted in confusion. 

Him: Do you even like acting?

Me: I love acting.  I want to make stuff up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your enthusiastic and loving comment.