Tuesday 26 May 2020

Why I Never Became An Actor #10

Reason Number 10: Was an egomaniac.

I flicked through the script for the final play we ever did in drama club.  I couldn’t believe it.  I thought I did well at the audition, but I could see The Director trying to brush me aside.  Now I was stuck with Moran, who was in one scene at the start.

But then The Director wanted an abstract opening, on the ship that contained the mystery, and we would improvise it. I saw an opportunity. 

Me: I’d be there, wouldn’t I? 

It was a logical suggestion. Someone would have had to orchestrate events, so Moriarty’s most trusted man would be the ideal choice.

So I got to be in the ship scenes.

In fact...


Me: He’s sort of controlling the events.  He’s in charge.

So The Role needed to grow a little more. Have more impact on the scenes we were improvising...


Slowly the opening scenes became longer and more substantial, and a few hints, nudges, suggestions and The Part grew.

But Moran was still caught in what had once been the opening scene, so for over half the play, I’d be absent.

Unless...



After all that set up, building up how important Moran was to the events that happened, we couldn't just drop it, that would be poor structure, so what if Sherlock Holmes got his information from the only person who knew?  Visited him in prison.




Sherlock: Do you realise that you are now in every scene bar two. You started with one speech.



Me: Really?









No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your enthusiastic and loving comment.