Monday 21 October 2019

Musical Monday #222

It's no secret that I'm not a particular fan of Les Misérables - I don't enjoy through-sung musicals because everything just drowns into one dull mess, and I've seen enough plays to know that I want to watch comedies not tragedies. I just can't take theatre seriously enough.

However, I do appreciate that there are some good songs in Les Misérables and One Day More is pretty classic as a get-everyone-on-stage-at-the-end-of-act-1 standard that most shows try to emulate.

However however, I'm not going to use the one from the movie, because that would involve having to listen to Russell Crowe as Javert and that's just not going to happen on my blog. Not when I could be listening to Philip Quast - y'know, my favourite singer ever. So I thought I'd use the One Day More from Hey, Mr Producer! because it is more visually interesting than say the 10th Anniversary Concert where they all awkwardly stand there like lemons. Unfortunately, the version I have chosen does come attached to Being Him Home, which I don't particularly like. Add high-pitched singing to stuff I don't like. It doesn't even make sense thematically because Bring Him Home comes after One Day More in the show (how can Valjean be begging for Marius's life if Marius hasn't even gone to war yet?)  but whatever...

Bring Him Home / One Day More! (Les Misérables) from Hey, Mr. Producer!
Performed by Colm Wilkinson, Michael Ball, Lea Salonga, Philip Quast, Teddy Kempner and Ruthie Henshall, among others (it is super hard to find a cast list for some reason).
Written by Claude-Michel Schönberg, Alain Boublil, Jean-Marc Natel and Herbert Kretzmer 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your enthusiastic and loving comment.