Monday 8 July 2019

Musical Monday #211

I probably say this every time I post a song from Little Shop Of Horrors - and that's going to be quite a few posts, because it's full of really good songs - but every time I watch the movie I wonder if I am somehow lowbrow or devoid of artistic sentiment for not appreciating the ending to the stageshow that they had to reshoot for the movie, but what can I tell ya.  I don't appreciate endings where everyone dies.  So boo sucks to them, it got reshot and now it's a fun movie*.  I know there are arguments to be made.  I know there are people who will shake their heads with scorn when I say, you know what, I prefer the Disney version of The Little Mermaid to the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale.  But somehow I don't care.  I like fiction to make me happy.  Sure you need pathos and drama and tragedy inside a story to make it interesting, but in the end, it's gotta turn out nice or I wasted my time.  I don't need fiction to make me feel bad.  Reality does that just fine.  Fun fact: Little Shop Of Horrors and The Little Mermaid have the same song writing team.

*Apparently the phrase is actually 'yah boo sucks' but I have never heard the 'yah' part in addition to the 'to you' part and now these are just meaningless sounds anyway so I forgot what I'm talking about.

Da-Doo from Little Shop Of Horrors 
Performed by Rick Moranis, Tichina Arnold, Michelle Weeks and Tisha Campbell
Written by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your enthusiastic and loving comment.