Monday 10 December 2018

Musical Monday #189

I actually kinda hate this film.  While I do have a soft spot for fluffy nineties rom-coms, this is one of those ones where the love object in question is a total creep.  Our protagonist (Julia Roberts) is selfish and not particularly nice, but that's okay because the film knows this.  What it doesn't seem to know is that the best friend (Dermot Mulroney.... WHO?) she is apparently in love with is a total boorish pig.  How he has two women interested in him is a mystery.  I feel deeply sorry for the simpering idiot (Cameron Diaz) who gets trapped with him in the end.  All that said however, Rupert Everett steals every scene he is in and plays the only remotely likeable character in the film, and this scene is fun, if you ignore the two angsty selfish dolts at the centre of it.

I Say A Little Prayer (For You) from My Best Friend’s Wedding
Performed by Rupert Everett and the rest of the cast
Written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David

Don't you feel all warm and nineties-y already?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your enthusiastic and loving comment.