Monday 1 January 2018

Musical Monday #158 / Top 5 New Year's Resolutions 2018

A quick glance at previous posts shows that when the arbitrary date we set for the New Year comes crawling around, I look back on a crappy previous year in hopes of a better future.  But you know what, 2017 was fine.  Not in a grander worldly kind of way of course, there it was perfectly crappy, but on a personal level, 2017 was harmless.  Good, even, I guess.

I ate a lot of different vegan chocolate tarts from different vegan cafés and friendly restaurants, I saw Mischief Theatre perform live twice and I saw my favourite stage performer/singer Philip Quast live for the second time in my life in his last musical.  I won two arguments that I didn’t start about why being vegan is important.  I saw a Thor film that I actually liked and I’m still in shock about that.  I taught myself the basics of chess and took up geocaching as a hobby.  I watched all eight seasons of That '70s Show in a couple of weeks because I love it now.  I came out as Ace, by which I mean I wrote it in a tiny corner of my Facebook profile.  I fell in love with Oxford.  The ghastly neighbours in the flat below, while moving in in 2017, almost moved out in 2017.  Season 4 of Bojack Horseman had a slightly more uplifting ending than season 3.  I popped to London for one afternoon and managed to meet up with seven different friends and another time I met up with a friend I haven’t seen in like seven years and we had a lot of fun.  I wrote an entire novel-length story from scratch in the course of a month (I might be fudging that a bit).  I bought a vacuum cleaner that actually works (who knew).  I reread Jane Eyre and it turns out it’s still the greatest book ever written.  And one time a cat broke into my flat for cuddles.

Yeah, 2017, not too shabby.

But 2018 can do better.

I don’t hold much stick* with new year resolutions, because I think life is a continual journey of self-improvement and also I’m super lazy.  Usually I just say my resolution is ‘to do better’.  But considering what a procrastinator I am, I think maybe some direction might help.

So here are my Top 5 New Year Resolutions for 2018.  Tune in next year to see how I did.

1.      Send stuff off to get published like all the time, instead of not doing that.
2.      Spend more time with my friends; visit the local ones, penpal the distant ones.
3.      Get fit; possibly not by joining the gym because it is £40 a month which is INSANE, but if not then replace the broken wii and use the wii fit daily and on nice days use the outdoor gym that is NEXT TO YOUR FLAT.
4.      Use the, how many is it now? Got be 20 at least, cookbooks you own to make new and interesting and healthy meals instead of eating the same two frozen dinners every night until you come to regard dinner with dread and loathing.
5.      Read more books.  Don’t stop reading for months at a time just because Frankenstein was boring.

I nearly had ‘tidy up after myself’ in the list, but, you know, who am I kidding.

So that’s 2018 off to a start, but it’s also Monday, so you know what that means.

  Fernando from That '70s Show, episode That Disco Episode
Performed by Topher Grace and Laura Prepon, written by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus


So what are your 2018 resolutions?

*not a typo. I think I might have made up a phrase.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your enthusiastic and loving comment.